Friday, August 12, 2011

Girdwood, Alaska: Salmon Heaven

Success! I have finally been inspired to write about food again.

Well, I had my share of salmon growing up. I'll even go out on a cocky limb and say that I'm a salmon connoisseur. Having been exposed to wild Alaskan salmon on numerous Seattle occasions, I was always curious if it would taste better at the source. Of course, I'm talking about eating Alaskan salmon in Alaska, though not necessarily catching it myself.

This particular meal was at the Hotel Alyeska, a ski resort in Girdwood, about 30 minutes outside Anchorage. I wish I had a picture of the entree, but I don't so I'll do my best to describe it. Hmm... a beautiful cut of salmon lay quietly on my plate. It was grilled wild Alaskan salmon preserved in lemon butter. Next to it sat half a lemon, and nearby something like grits -- maybe it was grits! There were also several carrot slices and something green, a vegetable perhaps. As you can see, my memory is hazy when it comes to anything other than the salmon. I was very focused on the salmon. There was so much anticipation for this moment built up over the preceding two months, that it was somewhat of a religious experience. When I made the first cut into the salmon, it fell apart effortlessly. When I took the first bite, I fell apart effortlessly. I was one with the salmon. When I say "fell apart", I do indeed mean from uncontrollable pleasure. The meat was succulent, the flavors perfect. My expectations were met, and then expertly surpassed.

If I had my way, I would have fresh Alaskan salmon all the time, but reality has a way of getting in the way of one's objectives, especially mine. I think a cold shower is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment